Job title: Museum Manager
Job type: Permanent, Full Time
Hours: 35 hours per week. (This position requires a flexible schedule with occasional evening and weekend work.)
Start Date: January 4, 2020 or as available
Founded in 1995, the Gem of the West Museum is a large rural museum located in the town of Coaldale, Alberta. Focusing on the history and heritage of the community and surrounding area, the museum includes over 15 exhibits, an art gallery, and an operational blacksmith shop.
This position reports to the President of the Gem of the West Museum Society.
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the museum and coordinate facility matters in conjunction with the Town of Coaldale Community Service Department.
- Office administration including managing the e-mail, website, and social media accounts of the Society. Monitor and purchase office supplies as needed and maintain the Society’s office space in a clean and orderly manner.
- Chair the Collections Management Committee, lead exhibit development and carry out research on artifacts and create interpretive signage. Manage all artifact donations and loans and maintain the collections database. Carry out artifact storage organization and ensure procedures are in line with museum best practices.
- Coordinate all community and fundraising events for the museum. This includes but is not limited to event administration, volunteer coordination, advertising, scheduling set-up and clean-up times, etc.
- Coordinate all educational components, including visitor information and tours, and implement programming in line with the mission and mandate of the museum.
- Hire, train, and supervise summer staff positions and coordinate all volunteer activities.
- Assist the Arts and Culture Committee with the development of arts-based events and the curation of the Scotiabank Art Gallery.
- Prepare and distribute all Agendas and Minutes for meetings of the Society Board.
- Assist in the development of policies and undertake grant applications.
- Additional tasks or projects as required.
- University degree or certificate in Museum Studies or equivalent and/or 2-3 years relevant work experience in a museum or similar heritage institution
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, communication, and public speaking skills
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Experience hiring and supervising staff an asset
- Knowledge of PastPerfect Software an asset
- Knowledge of WordPress an asset
- Knowledge of Southern Alberta history an asset
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and a minimum of 2 references to [email protected] with subject line “Society Manager Application”
Application Deadline: December 16, 2020
The Gem of the West Museum Society would like to thank all applicants, however due to submission volume only those selected for interview will be contacted.